MondoHomo Dirty South 2012 Festival Schedule-at-a-Glance
Unless noted, all events take place at The Arts Exchange located at 750 Kalb St SE Atlanta, GA 30312-3477.
Thursday, May 24 – MondoHomo’s Grand Opening Night – FREE!
7pm – Queers on the New Frontier – Art show opening that will feature work by local and national artists installed around the festival site. Visitors can also view an interactive exhibition of queer zines produced in conjunction with the Queer Zine Archive Project.
8:30pm – HomoSpoken: Word! – A dynamic array of local and out-of-state spoken word artists that will truly move your soul. Performers include: Fran Grentry, Poet On Watch, Malika Hadley Freydberg, Gabe Moses, and Ken J Martin. This night of performances will embrace individuality, radical politics, and sexiness!
9:30pm – Queertastic Music Selection – The Lamentations (ATL) – Post-gospel band who sweetens crowds with reinterpretations of blues and gospel.
11pm – Mondo Dance Off! @ Mary’s EAV – FREE
It’s dance time!!! Celebrate the sixth grand opening of MondoHomo! Spinning the tunes will be DJ Git Em’ Gurl!
Friday, May 25 – Whose Beats? OUR Beats! – $15 – Doors @ 7:30pm
Get ready to dance to the revolution with a fantastic lineup of bad-ass, politically inspiring, and sexy hip hop, rock, electro, and pop artists and bands! Performers include:
- Double Duchess (SF) – theatrical and interactive electro-hop performance
- GlitterLust (DC) – electro dancerock
- Sexual Side Effects (ATL) – glamorous post-punk rock
- KIN4LIFE (ATL) – female hip-hop duo
Saturday, May 26 – SkillsShare and Brunch! | Mondo Variety Show! | Queertastic Music Selections
Skills Share and Brunch – 12pm to 4pm – FREE – Enjoy radical education, intriguing discussions, and a yummy brunch with mimosas, Food and politics, yes please!
- Sarah Meng – It Gets Different: A skill share on suicide prevention for queers
- Milo Miller and Joshua Buford – Put This In My Box: Zines, Memory, and the Southern Queer Experience
- Kung Li – The Criminalization of People of Color: A Workshop and Discussion
- P.O.W. (Poet On Watch) – Artistic technique and entrepreneurship for the working artist: A workshop for queer artist success
- Marla Stewart – A Workshop on Seduction: Revolutinaary Style. Bring em’ out!
- Bekah Ward (International Socialist Organization) – Taking Down Capitalism & Homophobia: A Workshop and Discussion
- Moya Bailey – Talk/discussion on Afrofuturism
- Lulú Martinez (Southerners On New Ground) – Love Without Borders!: Workshop on Immigration Justice
- Atlanta Outworlders – Discussion on queerness in science fiction, fantasy, and horror
Mondo Variety Show – 6pm – $15 – An eclectic array of queerlicious performances, the evening opens with a showing of “Trandroids”, a film making its rounds on the festival circuit created by local queer organizer Britt Dunn.
The evening continues with some of the hottest queer burlesque and drag, ATL vogue, theatrical productions, and more, all headed up by non-other than ATL’s drag phenomenon, the fabulous and fierce, Dax ExclamationPoint. Performers include:
- Andre Mizrahi’s Vogue Superstars: ATL Ballroom Vogue-ing
- Margaret Crowley and Rachel Kahn – The Society for the Preservation and Promotion of Sapphic Social Mores: A lesson in Femme Etiquette
- Ace Faclor: Drag King / Queerlesque
- Miss D’Lish: Dessert Burlesque
- Adam Fair’s Gay The Ride: An interactive theatrical “ride” experience
- Violet Chachki: Drag Queen
- Dale Vigor: “Handjob from Hell,” from MASCULINE ADVENTURES FOR MEN
- Devin Liquor: Drag King
- Fonda Lingue, The Diamond Dame: TransBurlesque
- Brigitte Bidet: Drag Queen
- Mx. aRoara Thunder: Drag Shamanatrixxx
- Homo In Heat!
Queertastic Musical Selections
- Elysian Sex Drive (FL) – 10pm – acoustic funkalicious soul rock
- The Back Pockets (ATL) – 11pm – a lovely little flock of performance artists and musicians based in Atlanta.
Sunday, May 27 – Mondo Meadow! – 1pm to 5pm – FREE
Come and enjoy a sunny afternoon of queer family fun, community, and games at our annual all-ages park day. This year will feature performances by:
- The Kinetic Hive – Aerialists
- Snake Shark and the Broken Heart – a queertastic and heartwarming acoustic band
- Atlanta Sedition Orchestra – a radical street band dedicated to booty-shakin’ tunes
- A Stick and A Stone – folk musical band
8pm – Mondo Sashay! @ Mary’s EAV – FREE
Party and strut with the MondoPosse and every other queerling in the dirty south for a fabulous dance party! It’s a time to celebrate the finale of the queerest weekend of ATL. DJ Speakerfoxxx and DJ Ree de la Vega will be supplying the beats and all you gotta bring is the booty and fabulous dance moves. Let’s go hard for some “Queer Justice! Queer Beats!”